Iguana Lodge | Where we are and how to get here.
Iguana Lodge is on the Osa Peninsula in southwestern Costa Rica.
- Fly or drive from San Jose (the capital).
- Boat in from Golfito.
- If coming up from Panama, your best route may be via David/Golfito.
- Iguana Lodge has an excellent staff to help arrange and consult with you regarding your travel. Contact Us.
Click here for many Travel Tips.
Flights to Iguana Lodge
- Fly into our local airport in Puerto Jimenez (PJM)
- Fly from San Jose (SJO – Juan Santamaria International Airport) – or Liberia (LIR – Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport). There are no direct flights from LIR to PJM.
- Sansa Airlines, Skyway, and Aerobell may be flying to Puerto Jimenez (PJM) from SJO. Sansa is consistently flying here… other airlines come and go. Additionally Aerobell and TAG also fly out of the other airport in San Jose – Tobías Bolaños International Airport (SYQ) which is located about thirty minutes from SJO via taxi. Shuttles from SJO to SYQ may exist – they come and go, and often airlines flying out of SYQ will offer a shuttle service.
- Charter flights are also available.
- Baggage: Sansa allows a 30 pound bag and a 10 pound carry-on. Skyway allows a 40 pound bag and a 10 pound carry one. Extra weight is charged at $2/pound.
Sansa and Skyway in San Jose are located in the new Domestic Terminal, to the west of the International terminal. If flying Aerobell or TAG, you are probably flying out of Tobias Bolaños Int’s Airport. Walking Directions: When you walk out of the International Terminal, turn left. The stroll takes under five minutes. If you have a lot of luggage, get one of the porters to haul your luggage – Support the Local Economy!) Here is a map.
- GOOGLE Maps is Wrong. Wayz is Wrong. At the end of your journey, these maps take you to a dead end beach. Here is how to drive to Iguana Lodge.
- The drive takes six to eight hours from San Jose
- Longer than you think. Costa Rica is beautiful and driving to Iguana Lodge is a fun way to see the country if you aren’t in a hurry and are up for an adventure. San Jose is only about 200 miles from the Osa Peninsula, however, depending upon the route, the ingenuity and skill of your driver (not to mention your navigator), and happenstance, it may take even longer than you think.
- We highly recommend you do not drive at night, as the roads are neither well lit nor in great condition.
- From Puerto Jimenez the drive to Iguana Lodge can take ten to twenty minutes depending upon the status of the road.
- Our staff is happy to help you get here. They know the routes, can send you maps and even set up your rental car. Contact Us.
- The bus ride takes approximately nine hours, and costs under $20 per person each way.
- Recommended only for the “hearty traveler.”
- Watch your bags.
- The bus line is Transportes Blanco Lobo
- There is daily bus service leaving from San Jose (Barrio Mexico) to Puerto Jimenez. And visa versa.
- Schedules vary based on season. There is generally two buses trip a day one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- Many of our staff use the bus system and know the schedule well. They are more than happy to help you. Contact Us.
Passenger Ferries From Golfito
- Passenger ferry boats depart from Golfito to Puerto Jimenez several times a day (and vice versa).
- There is no car ferry
- Schedules vary on ferry and season.
- Most ferries are about 40 minutes and cost less than $10.00.
- The last one of the day is around 3 PM.
- Should you miss the ferry or not want to wait, you can hire a local boat driver to bring you over to Puerto Jimenez for around $80. This a negotiated price so it may vary.
- Our staff uses the ferry a lot. They know the current schedule and can help you coordinate with the ferry schedule. Contact Us.
Coming from South America or Africa?
You probably will need a Yellow Fever shot to get into Costa Rica – depending upon which countries you have been visiting. The same applies to various African countries.
Arriving on the Osa Peninsula
- Taxis from Puerto Jimenez to Iguana Lodge are approximately $22 + tax.
- If you have arranged your own travel to Puerto Jimenez, we are happy meet you in town. Just let us know your arrival details. Contact Us.